Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Giant

Yesterday I made the tragic mistake of going over to the Giant on 9th St, NW. While the actual physical store is not bad, much cleaner than I was anticipating, the parking lost scares the hell out of me. There are crazies all over that place. One woman, clearly intoxicated and clearly not employed by the Giant, spent about 10 minutes running around, in the rain, gathering up the carts. I thought, well that was nice and totally unnecessary of her. Then she started asking folks for money to actually get one of the carts to use. Needless to say, I turned around, went back out the parking lot and grabbed a cart she had missed.

Then leaving the store, another woman, two children in tow, was having a conversation with several other women in a car idling behind mine. As I was loading my groceries, I couldn't help but overhear, and by couldn't help, trust me, I would have helped if I could have, this woman talking about the man she's "fucking" and how "that fucking bitch" better not say a "fucking word" to her or she will "knock her fucking face in." Then she and the other women started laughing really loudly about the fact this woman they are referring to works in a Wal-Mart. Now while I think its perfectly okay to mock Wal-Mart employees, I was amazed at how many f bombs the woman dropped while her kids are sitting there, neither of which were more than 8 years old. My parents, particularly my mother, could be liberal with the expletives growing up, but I've never heard my mother go on a tirade about who she was "fucking" and how she was going to "knock her fucking face in" when referring to the man's wife. I immediately wanted to run and grab these children and take them away from her Angelina Jolie style. Instead I threw my stuff in my car and tried to leave. She was kind enough to move her car that was behind mine back JUST far enough for me to have to turn out and go in the opposite direction of the exit, forcing me to drive all the way around the parking lot.

I love the city, but sometimes I hate living here.

5 Comments:

Blogger JP said...

Sounds like justifiable homicide to me. My mom would have been reeling at the mere utterance of that word around us too. What happened to the world?
Those kids are the poster children for therapy.

2:43 PM  
Blogger d-town said...

i go there sometimes. yeah, the clientele is a bit sketch, but it's pretty similar to the kroger parking lot where i shopped back in ATL. at least you can buy beer/wine there unlike some DC grocery stores.

did my parents cuss/swear/curse? as a child, i was not allowed to say the words butt or crap ... what do you think?

9:50 PM  
Blogger Johnny said...

makes me wonder where ted kennedy gets his grub! clearly not in NW.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I'm just excited to have a new business idea. I can supplement my income by renting carts at my local Giant. Thanks for the tip!

1:10 PM  
Blogger Sparklebot said...

I was once at the equally ghetto Giant on 7th and P where, in the parking lot, two women were forcing a little girl no more than 6 to pee between cars and yelling expletives at her telling her how stupid she was for needing to "fucking piss". It made my heart hurt.

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?