Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Carrie Reads

I'm going to start a new section called "Carrie Reads" which is where I will pick a place, event, item, whatever and review it. I was inspired to do this having just eaten and what will be the first target of my sassy commentary.

Hank's Oyster Bar

Last night, a few friends and I went to Hank's Oyster Bar. Hank's is relatively new, utilizing the space that was occupied by the former Trio's Pizza, which was closed under suspicious circumstances...something to do with health code violations. Hank's was officially packed and we had a short wait to eat outside on the patio. Let me preface by saying that I am NOT a seafood fan. I don't do much in the way of fish or shrimp or crab or lobster or anything that roams around underwater. I can handle some seafood items like fried calamari and can tolerate some seafood based soups. I'm just not a fan. I was hesitant as to whether I would find anything on the menu to my liking.

Last night's non-seafood special was Slow Roasted Molasses Short Ribs with two sides. I knew this is what I would be ordering because it was the ONLY non-seafood option on the menu. I think this is a bit limited, but I understand it's an oyster bar and they are there to accommodate those with broader palates than my own. My friends ordered 12 oysters as an appetizer. I have never tried oysters. I'm not one to experiment, so unless I'm forced to eat something new, I won't stray far from my typical order of grilled chicken or steak. I decided to be bold and try an oyster. It wasn't terrible. It tasted like sea water and honestly wasn't altogether appetizing to me. I'm not sure I understand the draw.

The ribs come out and while tender and easy to eat, they tasted more like a roasted beef than ribs. I thought that they would be sweet, but were actually quite bland and boring. My two sides, because I'm a 10 year old kid, were mac and cheese and the Old Bay spiced fries. The mac and cheese had zero flavor. Which surprised me because it's mac and cheese which should always be good and easy to make well. Hank's failed at even this. The fries were however good, but honestly who can mess up fries?

One friend got the lobster roll which he says was good. I'll take his word for it. The other got the same thing I did and was as disappointed as I was.

I spent several hours of the night awake and sick to my stomach. I won't blame Hank's...it could just be my body punishing me for trying something new like oysters. But I still feel queasy this morning. And when something like that happens after eating somewhere near, I rarely will ever return to that place again.

In short, Hank's was a big bust for me. If you are a seafood junkie, maybe you'd like it but if seafood is not your thing, try to convince your friends to eat elsewhere if they want to go to Hank's Oyster Bar.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Trio's pizza actually had a gas fire and the building wasn't up to DC code, while it's not health department related anything is better in that space that red sauce on cardboard that they presented as pizzz

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?