Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Text Messaging: Not an Effective Breakup Tool


"I once was broken up with by a guy's doorman. 'I'm sorry Ms. Hobbes, Jonathan won't be coming down. Ever.'" -Miranda

Well things with Doc have sadly come to an end. Why, you ask? As with most relationships, particularly failed ones, there was an improper balance between how we felt about one another. Or rather, what either of us wanted from the other. He's a busy man with a busy career and a busy travel schedule who seems to really be interested in someone to date casually. This, I'm not opposed to. But when it also seems that he is not that interested in me beyond having someone around, I draw the line. I liked him. He's a nice guy, a bit quirky and odd, but intelligent, handsome and great in the sack. I don't honestly know how he feels about me. And there is the issue. Because of this imbalance in feelings, things became strained and boiled over a bit this weekend.

Friday night we enjoyed a lovely dinner with some of my friends and then were going to go out. Doc says he doesn't feel well and goes home. Then Saturday he works all day, goes out with coworkers and I barely hear from him. Sunday he wants to hang out but has to do more work. I say I'm meeting my friends out for a nice cocktail and he says he will join up. After several hours, and more than several cocktails have passed, I get a message saying he's still working. I have had my suspicions throughout the last week or two that he uses work as an excuse when in fact, he might not actually be at work. Having had a few too many, I send a less than pleasant text message back to him. I realize that this is going nowhere. I want more, he doesn't or doesn't have time and doesn't want it enough to make time. I'm too damned young and too damn needy for all that. Next thing I know, I'm tongue wrestling with some kid who has been sweating me for weeks now. He wanted to rendezvous back at my place...I declined, knowing I needed to clear things off with the Doc before whoring myself out to the gay community again.

The following day, after calling out sick from work because I had the hangover from hell, I get a text message from Doc (getting a little tired of the texting yet?) asking if I was going to speak to him again? I responded of course, thinking to myself, long enough to end this because I'm not being strung along anymore. A few minutes later I get the following text:

"I thought a lot. We should b friends until i get through the next intense months i am going 2 b so busy and gone 75 percent of time. You can go on with ur life and not b waiting 4 me and feeling hurt. U r 2 cool 2 b sad."

I'm sorry? Did I just get dumped first? And via text message? Seriously? No really, seriously? I mean the phone was clearly in your hand...how much harder would it have been to just hit the button, call me and tell me this? I was dumped via text message. I'm too cool to be sad? No, I mean, I'm 2 cool 2 b sad. Um, whatev.

So I emailed him back prefacing that while I prefer not to have such conversations via electronic devices, I do feel emailing is a step above text messaging and I told him I agreed basically and that when he gets his shit together, call me.

Lesson here people, if you are going to dump someone, grow a set and do it in person. Or at the very very least, over the phone so an actual conversation can take place. Emailing, text messaging, post-it notes and/or Shannen Doherty are not effective tools for ending your relationship.

27 Comments:

Blogger Ryane said...

I am really sorry you got texted--but you are soo spot on w/your observations. And the Shannon Doherty comment was hilarious...

'Grow a set'. I think we should put that on a T-shirt and hand it out to men who use text messaging or post-its (or doormen!) to break up with people. =-)

7:31 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

I had a long-distance relationship (one where the guy constantly talked about how much he loved me and wanted to marry me and be the father of my children and blech) kind of end over text. It was horrible. We'd half broken up, and had a "phone date" to finish the talk, which he put off. I got a text message that said "I don't know how to begin," so I offered up 8 humorous options over several texts in a row. His response? "Well then 9 because I don't think I can be with you anymore right now baby." I told him I would hate him if he did it over text... and he finally called me about an hour later, from outside a friend's party. He'd been texting the break-up stuff FROM A PARTY. Then he called me again at 5am, wasted and begging me to come see him the next day. Jerk.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said...

Update: I received a text (yes, another f@#$ing text message) from Doc simply saying "hi."

Okay, so you cannot respond in any way to my email from yesterday, but you can somehow muster up the energy to type "hi" and push the send button on your phone? Does anyone now wonder why I might doubt his level of interest?

8:34 PM  
Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said...

Ryane - Grow a set is one of my fav expressions. It's so useful, sadly, too often.

Kathryn - Boys are dumb. Seriously. Though I love that you responded with 8 options. If I ever have the chance to use that, I'm totally stealing that from you.

8:36 PM  
Blogger JoJo said...

I guess being broken up with via text isn't as unusual as I thought.

Carrie, be strong. There are others out there!

8:53 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

If you ever have the chance to do that, send me an email and I'll send you what the options were. I guarantee I have them all filed away in some email folder I never look at, buried within a tragically emotional email recap to a girlfriend.

Or I can send them to you so you have them on file.

PS - the next afternoon he texted me two hours before my train to go see him (remember he had BEGGED me to come the night before) with this gem:

Don't come. No time.

I think my point, other than going on about myself incessantly, is that it could have been worse, and anyone who would break up with us over text does NOT deserve any Wahoo lovin'.

xo

8:56 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Okay, been dumped by email, but text? With all those "ur" and 2's and B's? Ick.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Matthew Henry said...

i thought his text message was a letter to the editor of YM. he's a doctor...and yet communicates like a 12 year old school girl totally crushing on JT. as if. go on, get back out there and have fun! if it's meant to be, it's meant to be.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Hmm.. while it is crappy to text break up, I can say that text is helpful sometimes.

Like when you are majorly pissed at someone, and need time to think about what you are going to say to them, instead of immediatel making a drunken, belligerent, phone call.

:)

11:41 PM  
Blogger pamela said...

I implore you (I mean "u") to never speak with this loser again. Chin up. Love your blog.

2:03 AM  
Blogger DC said...

no sir, I'd have to egg his car for that one.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fact of the matter is that a conversation is confrontational, where a text message (or email) is not. There's a LOT of people who don't handle confrontation well.

Also, the whole "working too many hours, cancelling things at the last minute, texting apologies for not being able to come out" is avoidance, generally. It's part of a passive-aggressive strategy to make YOU initiate the break-up (which he is likely unwilling to confront about) while he still has the power to actually complete the break up.

The "Hi" message was a control aspect. Essentially, he wants you to immediately respond and that verifies that he's still in complete control.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Freckled K said...

I hope you didn't respond to his wussy "testing the waters" text.

At this point, nothing but a grand gesture on his part should get you two talking again. You deserve better than a freakin UR 2Good 4Me text message ending. FU -- I mean, FHim!

1:41 PM  
Blogger Lady Tiara said...

breaking up by texting is bad enough, but he didn't even take the time to spell out the words. u r 2 cool 2 b sad? the doc may have a fantastic career, but he writes like a junior high girl. i'm surprised he didn't sign it "LYLAS" (that's "luv ya like a sister" for anyone who hasn't been a 12-year-old girl).

1:43 PM  
Blogger The Gay Caballero said...

I am really sorry about your break-up, but you will end up being much better in the long run for it.

On a completely unreleated note (and feeling extremely catty since he "dumped" you over a text message) I went back and read some of your posts, I need you to satisfy my curiosity by answering a quick question...where was Doc traveling over the past few weeks? Or how long has he been in DC. Your description of him and the time line sound WAY too familiar to a certain new doctor I met here in town who I thought was a complete bullshit artist...this would only confirm it for me.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said...

Thanks guys for the words of encouragement. Honestly it didn't even really bother me terribly. Clearly it wasn't really working for several reasons, I just was shocked that someone chooses to end something, or cool it off as may be his perception via text messaging. An email itself would have been lame, but a text? Sheesh. In the end I think it's humorous...and totally sad and lame at the same time, but more so humorous. He's a good guy overall really (I think) and I'm sad it didn't work out. I still appreciate the support.

Oh and Gay Caballero - feel free to email me from my profile here and we can chat to see if its the same person. I'd like to think not, but now you have me wondering.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it’s very tacky to dump someone via text message. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I didn’t hear you say you had “text” sex. You did say he was good in the sack right? This just proves that people can be good in bed and still not have a spine or guts enough to tell how they feel honestly. On the other hand, would you have been so freely with sex if you knew it was only going to be a physical relationship?

3:10 PM  
Blogger Dennis! said...

Indeed, boys are dumb. I don't like them. Which makes life particularly difficult as a gay man.

5:50 PM  
Blogger miss bee said...

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

im not sure that there is a club, but there should be!

i was dumped via text message while in the middle of CLASS two years ago.

boys are shamefully loserific.

7:11 PM  
Blogger The Gay Caballero said...

Carrie,
I hate to have to ask this, but being a total newbie to Blogger, I am not sure how to send you (or any other Blogger member) an email. Is there some painfully obvious link I am missing somewhere? Help (he cries sheepishly) :-)

7:32 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hey, you made the Express. But, they mistakenly assumed one of you was a girl. HA!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said...

Gay Caballero - my email is nsandthecity@gmail.com.

V- Clearly they didn't read too far into the blog to see that I am not, in fact a girl...I just play one on the internet.

8:24 PM  
Blogger KMAX said...

If it helps to make you feel any better, I received a text message from a girl I was dating after taking her to dinner and walking her home and even asking if everything is alright that said simply this...

"This is not going to work"

So entirely classy.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said...

Troy - to answer your questions - clearly we weren't having text sex so yeah, to end things via text is tacky. I would not have been so free with sex if I had known that is all he wanted. Only I determine when I'm having sex for the sake of sex and nothing more. I don't like being hoodwinked. And more information has surfaced that I was being even more hoodwinked than I originally suspected.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently electronic breakups are the new hip thing. I was broken up with via blackberry with a guy I had already been on vacation with (so obviously more than just a casual dater.) We were to leave for Bali less than 2 weeks before the Blackberry breakup. Asshole.

3:53 PM  
Blogger loryn said...

ugh...over the phone is bad enough, but TEXT MESSAGE?

i was dating someone recently who just...disappeared into thin air. i think i'd rather them do that. then text message my ass.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was recently initiated into the world of text message break-ups with the following:
"I'm not sure if this is right way 2 handle this.I can't wait 4 u. Life is 2 short. I'm chasing someone that I can't get.Good luck 2u. Please do not respond back"
After a few minutes of stunned disbelief, I thought this would be a great material for a stand-up comic! Glad I found out he has no "kahoonas" before I went "searching"!!

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?