Friday, May 19, 2006

A Farewell to Will & Grace


Well tonight was the final episode of Will & Grace. After eight seasons, it is hard to believe that the show is over. I cannot believe it has been so long since the show first aired. It has become difficult to realize how groundbreaking the show was because frankly having gay characters on a tv show is not just normal but expected these days. Try as they may though, there will not likely be another show like Will & Grace.

I remember the first time I saw a commercial for Will & Grace before I ever knew what the show was about. It was a brief exchange between Will and Grace over lunch at an outside cafe. They were arguing over something. The commercial in no way hinted that Will was gay, so I just assumed it was another show about a young couple trying to "make it."

In any case, over the 8 seasons, the show became a little trite and predictable. The uniqueness was gone. Will and Jack are gay, Karen is a pill popping drunk...we get it! This last season was a little better and the finale was a fantastic way to end the show. I am a television junkie and have been my entire life...tv was my babysitter. So when a show I love ends, it bothers me. Even though the show is over, it is still a little sad to know it won't be there Thursday night to entertain me for half an hour.

It was a great show, a great finale and regardless of how it is perceived now, it was a groundbreaking show that allowed America to see, assuming they wanted, that gay people are perfectly normal and a part of this world whether they like it or not.

Adios Will & Grace (and Karen and Jack). See you every night in syndication on WB or one of those other channels. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?