Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Weekend Recap...a little late.

Well after five months, I felt it was time to show my face at my parents' house again so this weekend, I loaded up my car and ventured south. I love my family. I really do. But I absolutely hate going home to visit. I'm not sure why. I know a huge part of it is that I hate the drive. 95 going south from DC is probably the most stressful drive one can make on a weekend. When I go home, I refuse to leave anywhere near rush hour times and prefer to leave DC around 9pm. I also hate going home because there is absolutely NOTHING there to do. This used to be comforting to me. I could go home, relax, not feel guilty about avoiding any exercise, not feel guilty for laying on the couch and watching tv and shoveling fatty foods down my throat. Not feel guilty about going to bed at 10pm and sleeping in til Noon. Then I realized I do all of that here in DC and frankly, my couch is more comfortable. I also feel like my friends are going to be out doing fun things and I'm not around to enjoy them. What if the man of my dreams is wherever they are going to be and I miss him because I chose to go home?

Some of the highlights of going home include...um...well I see my family. Which is fun for a few hours. My brother and his family live there as well and I get to see my darling nieces. Which is fun for a few hours. But after a few hours, I'm bored. BORED.

After five months though, it was time to make the drive. I knew my mother was ready to write me out of the will so I had to show my face. I pack up my belongings and go outside to hop in my car. Oh but wait, there's something wrong with my car. Why is that mirror laying on my hood? Oh wait, I see now. Someone sideswiped my car. Oh and not just a light brush along the side. They rammed the back passenger side door, putting a huge dent in the car, then drove down the side of the car, putting a huge mark on the front door and capped it off by ripping off my side view mirror, which somehow landed on the hood. And do you think for one second they stopped? Left a note? Any witnesses to this? None. So I had to call the DC Metro PD, which shockingly arrived within 10 minutes of me calling. Two Asian police officers...yes, I said Asian...yes there are Asian cops in DC believe it or not...show up and they are kind enough to write up a report so I can get my car fixed. I have now decided that when the car is fixed, I am selling it. I can't deal with it anymore. It's a very nice car, but I don't drive it and am sick of paying a fortune to have it as well as the fortune I pay in cabs because I hate moving my car and losing a parking spot. That's just absurd. So if anyone is in the market for a car, let me know.

Okay so back to home...I spent Saturday afternoon at two of my nieces' softball games. I grew up playing baseball back home and so going back to the same fields for my nieces' games brought back a lot of memories. Not all good I assure you...I was a horrible baseball player. I basically never hit the ball, could barely catch and I was hit with the baseball more times than I actually hit the baseball with my bat. But alas, that is what you do when you're 10 years old. Plus the fields looked way smaller now that I'm an adult. It was very surreal. In any case, my sister-in-law coaches one of the teams and my brother is heavily involved and it is so freaky how into it they get. I was like, uh, it's a softball game and these girls are like 7 years old. Chill the f out. I guess when you have nothing else to do, you take shit like softball seriously. And the girls were highly irritating. They are not allowed to heckle the other team (they have all these silly rules that we never had playing baseball) and so they have these cheers they sing when their own team is up to bat (which to me is counterintuitive since you'd think you'd be distracting your own batter). But cheer they do. Loudly. And it's incredibly annoying. At one point, I held my hands to the sky and yelled for God to please never give me girls should I ever have children. Anything but girls. I also realized what a total fag I was watching these girls slide and thinking, oh that dirt will never wash out. And my smallest niece, covered in dirt from running around and sticky from the candy she had been eating decided that my shorts would make for a nice finger painting canvas. I nearly fell out of my chair to avoid her....get away from me you sticky little heathen! And the bugs...ugh...there are gnats everywhere and the people are just so icky. How could I possibly have grown up in this place???

Other than all that, it was a peaceful trip. Short and sweet. I do realize when I go to leave how much I do miss seeing my family. I know my mom gets upset when I return to DC and she feels like she has no involvement in my life at all. Which is true for the most part. Ever since college, I've just been very independent of my family and I don't open up and share and am not really as close to them. I regret it and am not sure why I am like that. I hate to think that one day I'll regret not being closer. I will say though it is strange when you realize that you are more comfortable and more relaxed in your own apartment than the house in which you grew up. It never used to be that way.

1 Comments:

Blogger d-town said...

i walked to work several times last week and thought "hmm, i think that might be carrie's car; aww, too bad she got a dent on the drivers side" ... didn't realize that i was looking at a fresh wound.

visiting my folks can be tiring, but it's gotten much better for me recently since i know that i can't go all that often now that i live much further than i did. plus my parents have matured along with me and really accept me for who i am now, so that makes things much more pleasant.

still though, i can't booze and cuss around them so coming home is always nice.

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?