Monday, September 11, 2006

A Tribute to Alysia


I heard about the 2996 project where bloggers from across the globe were each going to post a tribute to a fallen American from September 11th. I guess the site has come down unfortunately due to high traffic, but the bloggers have continued with their tributes. I scanned the list and found one for Alysia Basmajian but the link seemed broken.

I never met Alysia Basmajian, but briefly knew her husband in high school. I doubt Anthony would even remember me, though oddly enough after all those years I still remembered him. Both Anthony and Alysia grew up in Richmond and both attended William & Mary. In their junior year, Alysia became pregnant. Probably something that would terrify most juniors in college. However, Alysia and Anthony struggled through their remaining years in school not just as students, but also as parents. They persevered and graduated and shortly after, they and their daughter Kaela moved to New York where both Anthony and Alysia found jobs. Alysia was working as an accountant at the firm Cantor & Fitzgerald on the 101st floor of the North Tower of the World Trade Center. Anthony worked at the New York Stock Exchange a few blocks away.

Though I haven't spoken to Anthony in more than a decade, as soon as I saw Alysia's name on the list of the missing, I thought there may be a connection. I later found out that she was indeed his wife and they had a child together who was only two on September 11th. Being the same age as Anthony and Alysia, I was impressed and shocked at how determined they must have been to balance both parenthood and a college education and equally impressed at the fact they were succeeding in life.

Since 9/11, I have read several articles about Alysia and Anthony and their love and dedication to each other and their daughter. According to a NY Times article profiling victims of 9/11, the couple had found a list of life's major stresses and realized that they had done nearly everything on the list. Anthony said, "We'd gotten married, graduated, raised a child, found a job, moved to a new city. It was stressful, but it was O.K. because we faced it together."

The last item on the list was the death of someone you love.

Though I never met her, whenever I think about 9/11, I think about Alysia and Anthony and that little girl. I know that while Anthony, Kaela and Alysia's family will certainly never forget her...I hope they realize that their story touched me and hopefully many others as well. Keep Alysia, Anthony and Kaela in your thoughts today as you reflect on what life is all about. I can only hope one day to find the love and happiness they seemed to share, however short of a time they were given to enjoy it.

CNN Memorial to Alysia
William & Mary Obituary
Legacy.com Tribute

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was beautiful and sad.

Thank you.

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning Carrie,
I just came across your posting. Thank you so much for your comments. Kaela is now seven years old and over the years, I have tried to share with her stories that celebrate Alysia's life so she understands who her mother was. As time passes it has become easier for people to get consumed by their daily routines and overlook so many of the amazing stories that survived the tragedy of September 11th. Thank you for remembering Alysia and celebrating her story so that other people may learn how wonderful she is.
Anthony Basmajian

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ran across Alysia's story about a year and a half ago. She and I were the same age and I too have a daughter who at the time was 2 years old. I purchased a bracelet that has her name on it. Alysia's determination and love for her child and husband through many stressful times all at once is truely an inspiration for me. I have thought about her all day today, the 6th anniversary of September 11th. I hope that Kaela has found happiness and knows how special and beautiful her mommy was. I also hope that Anthony and Alysia's parents are able to find peace and comfort knowing how much her story has changed my life. I often find strength when I look down and see her bracelet. God Bless you Alysia.

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that Anthony and the rest of her family know how much she has impacted others.

I proudly wear a bracelet that I had made as a memorial to Alysia. She and I were the same age in September, 2001. I too have a daughter. My daughter will be 3 soon.

I only know what I have read about her. I know she was a loving mother, wife and a very determined person. I often get strength from seeing her name on the bracelet.

I hope that Kaela knows how wonderful of a mother she has. May God Bless her entire family.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

I knew Alysia in high school. She was always in my art classes and we hung out on the weekends sometimes. I really enjoyed her friendship and she was an awesome girl! She was sooo talented in art and had such a great heart. I remember when that terrible day happened and my sister called me telling me that she was on the list. I couldn't believe it! Right away, I ran down to the basement to find my old yearbook and get a glimpse of her picture to see her face. I cried. I couldn't believe her life ended so short when our lives had barely begun. We were the same age and also had a child the same age I think. We had lost touch so I found that out later on after I read about her life. My son is now 11, almost 12 and it makes me feel so sad that her daughter is without a mother at that age. As the anniversary comes up again I will pray hard for her husband and daughter as well as her family for their loss. I will always remember her and the times we had together.

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?