Monday, April 10, 2006

Farewell Leo

So I just watched tonight's episode of the West Wing and will admit I cried through a great deal of it. I have watched the show religiously since the first season and it is undoubtedly my favorite show ever. I've been very upset that this is going to be the final season of the show. Having dealt with out current administration, it's been nice to turn on the tv and for one hour (or several if I'm watching the reruns on Bravo) have an administration that knows that the heck its doing.

For those of you who don't follow the show, John Spencer, who plays Leo McGarry (candidate for VP for the Democrats and formerly the chief of staff for President Bartlett), died several months ago in the middle of shooting the final season. Oddly enough his character had suffered a heart attack two seasons ago and that is how John Spencer died. This episode was where they write into the storyline Leo's death. It was sad on many levels because you not only mourn the loss of the character of Leo but you watch these actors have to also say goodbye to what I am sure was a good friend in real life. It was very sad.

On a happier note, the Democratic Presidential candidate, Matt Santos, wins the election. Barely, but wins nonetheless. Sadly I'd still have taken Arnie Vinnick, the Republican candidate over our current real life President.

Now I am watching the National Geographic story on the alleged Gospel of Judas. It's fascinating to me. I've always found religion fascinating, despite the fact I am not particularly religious. My favorite films are usually ones that surround religion. Today I watched Constantine. And while not surprised that it would be lame (it does start Keanu Reeves after all), I still enjoy that particular type of movie. Stigmata, lame, but another one I like. The Prophecy, The Omen, The Exorcist, End of Days, etc. In any case, more scholarly studies on the subject like that show on tonight also interest me. It's amazing to know that there is so little we actually know about the people who lived during the time of Jesus Christ. The idea that there are so many other records of what happened during that time that we know nothing about is pretty cool.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one crying like a baby when Leo died. I've been watching The West Wing for years as well, and I've never been so moved by a TV Show!!! What do you think is going to prompt Sam (Rob Lowe) to come back? I can't wait!!!

12:42 AM  
Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said...

Is he coming back!? Probably the funeral for Leo I'd imagine. It would be rude if he didn't come to that.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, he's coming back! They showed him on one of the "this season on the West Wing" trailers. I'm thinking he could be coming for the funeral, but wouldn't it be awesome if Santos picked him to be VP? He is a Senator in California...

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?