Tuesday, February 28, 2006

West Coast/East Coast

Okay, so no offense in this posting, but I am sitting here watching the Bachelor: Paris and I'm sorry, but I think the two final girls reflect my views on the differences between East Coasters and West Coasters.  

Sarah, the girl from Nashville, TN, is this down to earth, wholesome and seemingly genuine girl.  She says what she feels and there's little added drama to it.  

Then there's Moana.  I have loathed her from the beginning.  While I totally think the other girls treated her ugly for no reason other than jealousy, I do think she's as fake as a Kate Spade bag bought on the corner of Wisconsin and M Street in Georgetown.  Everytime she has to talk about her feelings, she gets SO freaking dramatic.  

I guess to me, I see West Coasters as these people who take a lot to get to really know - to really see who they are.  There seem to be all these layers there to dig through to figure out who that person is.  I know this is a total generalization, but aren't most stereotypes.  East Coasters have plenty of negative qualities..their unabashed honesty that is perceived as rude or inappropriate, their cold nature when it comes to a lot of deep issues.  East Coasters can be brutal.  Southerners like Sarah though to me seem so much more easy to like.  So much more genuine.  Life doesn't have to be so complicated.  

I don't know, I just find myself liking Sarah far more than Moana.  And being an East Coast person (and a Southerner), it could just be I relate to her more.  I just can't help getting this feeling that the reasons I don't like Moana are the same reasons I always feel uncomfortable when on the West Coast.  It just seems to get to some substance, something real, you have to dig a lot to find it.   Maybe that's just Southern Cali or something. I haven't traveled too extensively in the Northwest but hear its completely different.

In any case, no offense. I know there are plenty of people of substance from the West Coast. This is more of a perception based thought and I realize there are many, many examples that totally make me think these perceptions are misguided. Moana, however, is not one of them. She irks me.

Go Sarah! I'm about to find out who gets picked.

UPDATE: YAY! Travis saw what I saw and picked Sarah! I had a feeling he would. Even Moana's exit was SO dramatic. "Guys like that don't marry girls like me." Um, well if you want to marry a guy like that, maybe you need to not be a girl like you. I mean I feel bad for her, because I do think in an experience like this, you probably do have all these emotions for this one person, but honestly, afterwards, I could not see Travis and Moana being able to be together on a daily basis. Anyway - East Coast represent! In da house!

UPDATE 2: Travis to Sarah: "You are beautiful, you are smart, you are honest, but one of the things I like about you the most - maybe the most - is when I'm with you, I'm happy." "When I'm with you, I feel like I'm home" *heart* *tear*

UPDATE 3: If you go on the Bachelor and you know going into the final ceremony that you are not going to propose, tell the producers you refuse to even pull out a ring, much less pull out one on a necklace. Tacky. I mean I totally understand not wanting to propose to someone you met three weeks ago, but don't even pull out a ring unless you plan on using it dude.

UPDATE 4: Yes, I'm a loser who watches shows like the Bachelor. Cut me some slack - it's a Monday.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Being a southern gurl, I can tell you we're not all sweet and honest. We can cut you to the quick with what everone else perceives a compliment. Just a little way of telling you "How nice" with that certain fuck you bitch undertone. Anywho, beware of the Southerners, especially those from the deep south.

2:46 PM  
Blogger d-town said...

I do have a fondness for Southern boys being one myself, despite having met some really great people who hail from all over this country. Sure, we're congeinally catty when we need to be and can suck down cocktails better than anyone in the US of A, but it is easy to spot someone who is being "fake" versus being "real."

6:39 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

As someone who grew up on the west coast but now lives on the east, there really are differences between the two, and you pretty much nailed them. It's not that one side is better than the other, they are just different, and take some getting used to.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?